For the first time since 2012, Electronic Arts is once again publishing new games on Valve's Steam platform, the publisher announced today.
A preorder page for next month's Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Orderis already up on the Steam store, and EA promises that 'other major titles,' like The Sims 4 and Unraveled Two, will be available on Steam in 'the coming months.' Multiplayer titles like Apex Legends, FIFA 20, and Battlefield V, meanwhile, will be available on Steam 'next year,' with cross-play between the Steam versions and those on EA's existing Origin service.
The Origin integration and incorrect listings haven't gone down well with EA's games now available on Steam.
- Steam, GOG, Uplay, EGS, Bethesda launcher, Battle net - you name it, NO storefront allows linking games from another storefront. It makes 0 sense. Well yes and no, i bought Division on Steam, and originally played it via Steam, however i can also start the game up through UPlay.
- All Origin titles are available on the platform now, and you can bring your progress over if you link your Origin account to Steam. It’s taken some time, but the Origin library is.
- You can update it through the Origin client. After that, you can proceed with the transfer for Apex Legends from Origin to Steam, and it goes as follows: Find your old install location from Origin. Launch Steam and then find Apex Legends and click install.
A long time coming
EA's return to Steam marks a sea change for the company's PC gaming plans, which for years have focused on Origin as its primary (and in most cases exclusive) sales channel. The company's Steam releases slowed to a trickle in 2012. By 2013, the only new EA content on Valve's service was DLC for various Sims games.Back in 2011, when EA announced that Battlefield 3 would not be available on Steam, EA cited Valve's 'restrictive terms of service' that made it more difficult to distribute patches and DLC through the game client itself. While there was some merit to that argument, the fact that EA didn't have to pay Valve a 30% revenue cut for sales through Origin may have also played into the continuing decision to avoid Valve's popular storefront.
But Origin faced pushback from a contingent of Steam-invested gamers almost immediately, thanks in part to its lack of features and the prospect of managing a separate new friends list. EA Executive Vice President Andrew Wilson acknowledged Origin's poor public reception in 2013, saying to those who had a 'less than optimal experience' with the service, 'We get it. We understand it. We have heard, we have made some changes already in terms of how we do things, and we're looking at more changes that we'll talk about over the coming months that really are gamer-focused.' Netflix download mac pro.Advertisement
In the ensuing years, EA tried to set Origin apart by introducing the Origin Access subscription program, adding features like game refunds (years before Valve did similar on Steam), and offering regular free game downloads through its 'On the House' program (until it was discontinued in 2018). But by 2016, EA was once again on a public 'journey to regain trust of the PC gamer' after a series of poorly received game launches on Origin.
EA also tried competing more directly with Steam by slowly opening Origin's digital library (and the Origin Access subscription program) up to games from other publishers. And while major studios like Square Enix, Warner Bros., and Ubisoft have listed some games on Origin in recent years, most of those were also available on Steam, where they presumably sold to a much larger audience of PC players.
Not an Epic moveEA's return to Steam takes on added significance today, as Valve faces perhaps its most serious large-scale competition yet from the Epic Games Store. Much like Origin, Epic is slowly opening access to a variety of third-party publishers and using free game giveaways to attract attention, while also being criticized for a relative lack of features by many Steam fans. But Epic is also offering publishers a better revenue share and purchasing a wide array of exclusives that set it apart from both Origin and Steam.
Publishers like Ubisoft, 2K Games, and many more have taken advantage of Epic's friendlier terms and revenue guarantees in moving exclusive titles away from Steam in recent months. EA's decision to stick with Valve, rather than follow suit, is a major vote of confidence in Valve's continued role as the primary way most PC gamers still get most of their games. The company obviously doesn't share Randy Pitchford's concern that Steam may be a dying store in five to ten years.
Since Apex Legends is available on multiple platforms like Steam and Origin, for some players that have already downloaded the game on Origin, they might want to transfer the whole game to Steam without redownloading the whole game. However, is this even possible? Can you transfer Apex Legends from Origin to Steam?
Thankfully, this is possible, and today we will cover just that. You might expect that most players want to use Steam as their launcher because it is far more stable, and has been around far more than the Origin suite.
Move Apex Legends from Origin to Steam
There are a few precautions that you need to check-off the list before starting the transfer for Apex. These things include having the game already downloaded through Origin, and finding its install location.
Among these precautions, it is really important that you have the latest version for Apex Legends, in order not to wait for Steam to find the missing updates, and download them.
You can update it through the Origin client.
After that, you can proceed with the transfer for Apex Legends from Origin to Steam, and it goes as follows:
Origin Link Steam Account Not Working
- Find your old install location from Origin.
- Launch Steam and then find Apex Legends and click install.
- Choose a location for install and then open that location from your File Explorer.
- Next, make sure that you cancel the Steam install, and quit Steam fully.
- Transfer your whole old installation folder to the new one from Steam, and when prompted that files already exist, click “Yes to All” – to replace the files.
- Once the transfer is completed, open your Steam application, find Apex Legends, and click install once more.
- The files will start verifying themselves, and download any additional or missing files. You’ll be able to play Apex soon after that.
If you copied the old installation and pasted it to the new one, then you can delete the old one if you aren’t planning to play the game through Origin.
Reddit Link Origin To Steam
Make sure to update the game before you transfer it, to avoid any additional waiting time!
READ NEXT : How To Move Epic Game to Another Folder, Drive, & PC